Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 19, 2009

Grace and Suki are ready to head into our friend Cassandra's birthday party!

Suki carried our gift, Grace carried her animals. She said she needed to bring four to the party and when I said no, she said "Let's compromise. How about two? That sounds good." And so we did. She also said that I needed to get her a chimp for a pet, but there is no compromising on that. People think I'm crazy enough as it is.

All ready to go!

Oh, how Suki loved Cassandra's balloons. She gathered as many as she could in one big bunch. And we all told her that she could bring -one- home with her, we told her that so many times that if you didn't have children you'd think we were excessive about it and if you did have children you'd know there was no use in saying anything to Suki at all. She just loved them and that was all she was really focused on.

Grace also admired the balloons.

Kate and birthday girl Cassandra.

Some of the balloons.

Kate found lots of new things to eat at our friends' house.

Can you spot all three girls?

Suki threw her biggest tantrum to date when it was time to go and I didn't allow her to take all of the balloons home. I put Kate and Grace in the car and came back in to collect Suki. I mentioned to Grace how Suki was making such bad choices and was being so loud at the party. She looked at me and said "But Mom, we have to have her!" So that put a smile on my face as I headed back in. I'd told Suki mid-tantrum that if she calmed down and was quiet, she could bring one balloon home and if she didn't, she'd have none. Rosemary generously offered in an aside that Suki could have the balloons but at that point we both knew this thing had gone far enough that if I gave in now and gave her all of the balloons it would send many a terrible message. And so I carried a red faced, screaming, balloon-free Suki from dear little Casssandra's party, it was pitiful. On way home, Grace turned to Suki and told her about how next time, she would have to choose quieter behavior at the party. Here's hoping.

A sleepy Kate before her nap.

No comments: