Thursday, June 26, 2008

June 26, 2008

This post is brought to you by the least competent toilet trainer you've ever encountered.

Upon the startling realization yesterday that Grace had hit 40 months without one attempt at toilet training, I realized we needed to start. She was ready, according to this site and oh yes, everyone else we know. She was excited this morning when I told her the news, and the atmosphere was so festive around here you'd have thought it was Christmas Eve. She saw the box of tiny presents she could choose from when she used the toilet and loved them. I gave her juice and a smoothie, her two favorite things to drink. I praised her for sitting there and trying to go, we read her book on potty training over and over (she loved it) and lots of YouTube potty training videos. She drank 2.5 giant sippy cups of fluid during this process -- and we sat there for four hours without anything happening. I would have thought this an impossible feat but I forgot about the stubborn streak that runs through this little family. She started getting teary and hitty and complaining with some desperation that she needed a diaper change. I wanted her to have success on her first try (success defined as actually using the toilet one time, not forever and always without fail but just that first time) but it was clearly not to be. I took her Dad's advice and gave her a hug, praised her for what she'd done and put on her diaper. And she promptly went in her diaper and has been happy ever since. I have no idea what to do differently tomorrow but by god we are going to try for a few days more before deferring the effort for a couple more weeks.

Suki was mighty patient during this effort, thank goodness.

Even Kate cooperated, managing two naps in the swing in the time it took Grace to show me who was in control of toilet training.

The positive side of this is that if Grace can hold it for four hours after taking in that volume of fluids, she will definitely be able to fake being toilet trained in September and just not use the rest room at preschool at all. I am feeling very defeated -- please send pie and/or your sympathies.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Applause for the effort. I'm sure it will come with time. Is there any reason she shouldn't try more than once in a day? Perhaps the afternoon after a morning attempt would yield more effect? What happened to the idea to add Suki to the mix, for the sake of some healthy modeling/competition?

I'm sure there is no one right way for this - you guys will figure it out. Then you'll tell me how to do it. :) Here are some sympathies, sorry for the lack of pie.

Laura said...

1 - We did try again in the afternoon, this time letting her decide when to sit on the seat. Two accidents on the carpet, one time on the little toilet with no results. I heave a mighty sigh to all of that. We'll try again in the morning.

2 - I'm pulling my hair out with just Grace and worry about her wee baby ego if Suki shows her up, I suppose. We're going to rely on the spirit of competition to urge Suki to success later and reinforce the training with Grace. Suki's wee baby ego is used to rougher treatment :)

3- Thank you for the sympathy. Send pie as you are able. In your own time, sister -- this weekend is fine if you don't get to it sooner.